Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DOS in Win2K

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matheny

Technical User
Sep 29, 2003
US
[pc3]

On occasion I find it necessary to utilize DOS while "in" Windows, and have found no problem accessing DOS running either file system—NTFS or FAT32.

Sometimes, working with file attributes or deleting is easier in DOS, especially with hidden files. Also, I like to PATH to a utility folder (wherein I have some DOS utilities). To do this it is necessary to access and edit the hidden file autoexec.bat.

Most know that Start — Run — cmd or Command will bring up DOS.

Then to edit the autoexec.bat file: at the prompt type: EDIT AUTOEXEC.BAT — and insert: PATH C:\UTILITY

It isn't necessary to change file attributes to edit a file.

Obviously—save the file; exit; reboot, for changes to take effect. The executable DOS files place in the utility folder are now available at the "C" prompt. That folder can either be made in Explorer or at the "C" prompt—C:>\MD UTILITY.

Another file management tool that I have found helpful is a stand-alone program called Filer which is imbedded in the DOS program ALT. I don't remember all that program (ALT) can do, but I keep Filer handy. I copy File to my Utility folder (I still like the name "Directory") and PATH to that folder in the autoexec.bat file. (Maybe I'll install ALT to see what all it can do—probably nothing useful other than Filer.

Also, I like to "see" autoexec.bat and config.sys files hidden files. The ATTRIB command is available to change the attribute of those, or any other, files. Of course, in a clean Win2K install there are no commands in either of these files.

So, to change the attribute from hidden to archive:

C:>\ATTRIB -H +A [drive:][path][filename]
("drive" and "path" are not necessary if file is in the current directory. OK—"FOLDER"

In addition to the foregoing, I have used, running Win2K in DOS mode,the following DOS commands, albeit on a limited basis: XCOPY, COPY, DIR, DEL, MOVE, LABEL, MD, RD, CD, MEM, VOL, VER (displays Windows version), PRN, and TYPE.

[ponder]

And don't forget what this says in the C:\WINNT\system32\autoexec.nt file [similar in WinXP]:

"@echo off

REM AUTOEXEC.BAT is not used to initialize the MS-DOS environment.
REM AUTOEXEC.NT is used to initialize the MS-DOS environment unless a
REM different startup file is specified in an application's PIF.

REM Install CD ROM extensions
lh %SystemRoot%\system32\mscdexnt.exe

REM Install network redirector (load before dosx.exe)
lh %SystemRoot%\system32\redir

REM Install DPMI support
lh %SystemRoot%\system32\dosx"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back