Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DOS Game, Windows 98, Mouse not recognised

Status
Not open for further replies.

markh999

Programmer
Aug 4, 2003
GB
I'm trying to play and old Dos game, The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes under Windows 98. Its loaded ok and runs but I cannot use the mose at all (even though the in game settings are set to Mouse/Keyboard use). I am running in MS-DOS mode. It does come up a message after the introduction saying I am short on memory and this may impact the game when running.

How can I get it to recognise my mouse ( I cannot find any mouse drivers at all on my system !!) and I haven't a clue how to configure the file in windows to tweak the right MS-DOS settings.

Any help much appreciated.

From M$.....
Look here
0.asp

To configure an MS-DOS-based program to run in MS-DOS mode, you should have a shortcut icon for the program. If there is no shortcut icon for the program, use the right mouse button to click the program's icon, and then click Create Shortcut on the menu that appears. Once there is a shortcut icon for the program, follow these steps to configure the program to use MS-DOS mode:

Right click the "shortcut"....choose properties>misc.....and check the box "Exclusive Mode"...under mouse area......

TT4U

Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions....I try very hard to impart correct info at all times.

Others will show up (hopefully) to help you allot the correct amount of memory....as I'm not so sure about this aspect.....These settings can all be adjusted under that shortcut you've created....
The M$ link above got wrapped, so i'll try it again....here..

and try this link to learn more about DOS config......
as it contains great info and other links.....

TT4U

Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions....I try very hard to impart correct info at all times.

It's been a long time since I've done this, but if I remember right I used to use a 95 boot floppy disk with all the old emm386 and himem settings on it. You can't use a 98 disk because it makes that ramdrive for the d: drive and bumps your cd.
You also have to load a DOS mouse driver, BUT they do not work with USB mice.

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back