Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dos directory pathing 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

petey

Programmer
Mar 25, 2001
US
In DOS, if you have a deeply nested <pathname> such as:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\websites\htdocs\mysubdirectory\galleries\imgs\thumbsized

How do you get to that folder? cd <pathname> fails, as well as cd "<pathname>". Manually cding to everything using the cd foobar~1 syntax, I can get as far as galleries, but when I try to cd to imgs it fails wierdly.

Are you doing this?

cd\docume~1\alluse~1\docume~1\websites\htdocs\mysubd~1\galler~1\imgs\thumbs~1

You mention that you only get as far as img, there might be an 8 sub folder limit. Just like DOS naming can only take 8 characters.

If you type a command that takes file names (like COPY) and hit TAB, it cycles through every file and folder in the current folder. If you just hit TAB at the prompt with no command, it does the same thing. Incredible.

Hi, Petey

Two things:

- Use CMD as your command interpreter so you can use full length folder names with spaces. Otherwise, do a dir with the /x option to see what the ~ version of the folder name really is.

- Make sure imgs is not hidden. You may have explorer set to show hidden files & folders, but they will still be hidden to DOS

Jock

I didn't know COMMAND and CMD were different, but using CMD my problems are solved. Cool registry hack too. Thanks, all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back