Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DOS attacks reported from Netgear adsl router

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quarm

IS-IT--Management
Feb 6, 2002
GB
Greetings all,

I have a Netgear adsl modem router setup on my PC at home, also have 2 other machines running on and off and different intervals. The netgear router is configured as a DHCP server, and the PCs as clients. On the Router setup webpage I have turned of remote access and I also have firewall software running, namely Sygate.

The issue is that I get email alerts (which I manually setup) from netgear router stating that there has been a security alert, I have given the IP address and port numbers of the machines attacking. How can I tighten up security so that I dont get any DOS attacks. I am running Windows 2000 professional with latest service pack and critical, security updates. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Q.

When the Many is reduced to One. . To what is the One reduced?

Are the IP addresses from within your network (usually in the 192.168.0.x range), or from outside your network?

If inside .. then you have some work to do, as one of your machines is infected with something.

If outside .. then there's nothing you can do, as a 3rd party is responsible. While you could send out emails to the abuse address for the ISP that owns that IP range, it usually doesn't do any good as their source IP is almost always forged. I would just turn off the notifications in your router.

Chip H.

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ222-2244 first

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back