Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Doorphone programming help ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrdom

MIS
Oct 5, 2005
US
Hi everybody: I'm trying a Fanvil i21T doorphone ... seems to be a well-built unit. I'm struggling, however, trying to get it programmed in the UCx and in the phone interface. I'm attaching two screenshots that show the phone settings ... could anyone provide some guidance to help the phone talk to the UCx?

screenshot.58_jeuhn5.jpg

A note on the graphic above - the registration box is CHECKED ... the UCx says that there is 1 SIP device online.

screenshot.59_tevjff.jpg

I filled in the UCx IP address, the port number and the "secret" word (which I assume is the authentication password). I wasn't sure what to put into the authentication user field, so I put in the extension number ... not sure if that's right or not.

I didn't change any of the advanced SIP settings, but provided the screens in case someone might see something that needs to be changed.

Thanks so much for the help!

I would think you would NOT need VPN checked if this device is on the same network as the UCx. The Authentication User should be your extension as you have it in there.
Not being able to see your UCx SIP settings kind of make it difficult to add anything else to this. I am "assuming" the default Bind Port of "5060" has NOT been changed to something else.

Your DTMF Mode should be"RFC 2833", so the setting in the Fanvil "RFC Protocol Edition" may be causing an issue. I can't say since I haven't worked with the Fanvil device before.
Finally, is the device on the SAME network as the UCx or is this a remote user? If a remote user, you will need some Port Forwarding parameters set in the UCx site router.

I know this probably isn't much help, but again, I haven't used the Fanvil product before. It could be there is a compatibility issue with the UCx. Here is a link from the documentation that may help you....

Have a blessed day,

Stocking Distributor for E-Metrotel

AS UCXNORTEL asked is the device on the same network as the UCx?
Did you follow the Wizard configuration?
If not did you apply changes on each page that was edited, saved then reboot the device?
Your Basic Settings above show Unapplied
Does SIP Line 1 on the Status page show Registered after a reboot?
If not check Asterisk logs for some hints

Thanks UCXNortel and islandtech for your help! I was able to make some progress this morning. I can call the doorphone from another extension, but calling an extension from the doorphone isn't working. I reached out to Fanvil tech support, and they sent me some things to try, but I think there's a firmware issue as the screens they have aren't the same as mine. I'm going to repost the screens again so you can see what the current settings are. It'd be great to get this to work as we can then have another device that works with the UCx! :) Here are the screens as of right now:

Current SIP Settings on Doorphone:
screenshot.61_lv6dod.jpg

Current Advanced Settings on Doorphone:
screenshot.56_pkyziy.jpg

Current SIP settings on the UCx:
screenshot.60_eujbw9.jpg

What are the symptoms when you try calling from the door phone?
Do you hear tones or error messages?
What is shown it the logs when making a call?

Tech supported emailed me back and told me that I needed to press * before dialing the extension. I tried that, but no dice. When I dial the extension, I can get a dialtone, but after dialing the digits, I get a signal (like the one that you hear when the phone's off the hook for awhile) x 10 and then the phone disconnects.

Tech support said that I needed to check an option that says "dial fixed length to send", and update the digit field to "3". The only problem is that I don't have any of the screens they have. I'm thinking I need to get a firmware update, and am awaiting an answer from support on that. It would make sense that the phone isn't sending the digits to the UCx, and thus, nothing happens. This was all I could find in the logs at the time I made the test call:

[pre]
[2015-11-06 14:05:01] VERBOSE[12335] asterisk.c: -- Remote UNIX connection
[2015-11-06 14:05:01] VERBOSE[15861] asterisk.c: -- Remote UNIX connection disconnected
[2015-11-06 14:10:01] VERBOSE[12335] asterisk.c: -- Remote UNIX connection
[2015-11-06 14:10:01] VERBOSE[15870] asterisk.c: -- Remote UNIX connection disconnected
[2015-11-06 14:15:01] VERBOSE[12335] asterisk.c: -- Remote UNIX connection
[2015-11-06 14:15:01] VERBOSE[15917] asterisk.c: -- Remote UNIX connection disconnected
[/pre]

Not sure if this even has anything to do with the doorphone, as I don't see anything specific to the extension being dialed, etc.

I'll post again when I've heard from support and we'll see what they say about the firmware. Thanks for the continued help!

The first thing I would do is change that NAT setting in your UCX configuration to no if everything is on the same network. The second thing, if you don't have a dial plan set up in the UCx, you must press the # key after you dial the number you want to tell the PBX that you're done dialing and to send the digits. You didn't say if you tried that.

In the logs, do a CNTRL F on your PC keyboard and enter the extension of the doorphone to find any entries that will show your call progress.........and change the number of lines displayed from 100 to 1000. You'll be able to see a lot more entries that way.

I tried adding # when I dialed the number, and I got the offhook tones right away. After searching the log, I couldn't find any reference to the doorphone's extension, so I don't think I'm even getting to the UCx ... it's failing at the doorphone itself. It's strange that I can call it but can't dial with it ... there must still be something that I'm missing in the doorphone programming.

In looking at the log file, however, I noticed all these remote UNIX connections:
[pre]
[2015-11-08 13:45:01] VERBOSE[12335] asterisk.c: -- Remote UNIX connection
[2015-11-08 13:45:01] VERBOSE[26217] asterisk.c: -- Remote UNIX connection disconnected
[2015-11-08 13:50:02] VERBOSE[12335] asterisk.c: -- Remote UNIX connection
[2015-11-08 13:50:02] VERBOSE[26226] asterisk.c: -- Remote UNIX connection disconnected
[2015-11-08 13:55:01] VERBOSE[12335] asterisk.c: -- Remote UNIX connection
[2015-11-08 13:55:01] VERBOSE[26235] asterisk.c: -- Remote UNIX connection disconnected
[2015-11-08 14:00:01] VERBOSE[12335] asterisk.c: -- Remote UNIX connection
[2015-11-08 14:00:01] VERBOSE[26249] asterisk.c: -- Remote UNIX connection disconnected
[2015-11-08 14:05:01] VERBOSE[12335] asterisk.c: -- Remote UNIX connection
[2015-11-08 14:05:01] VERBOSE[26265] asterisk.c: -- Remote UNIX connection disconnected
[2015-11-08 14:10:01] VERBOSE[12335] asterisk.c: -- Remote UNIX connection
[2015-11-08 14:10:01] VERBOSE[26274] asterisk.c: -- Remote UNIX connection disconnected
[2015-11-08 14:15:01] VERBOSE[12335] asterisk.c: -- Remote UNIX connection
[2015-11-08 14:15:01] VERBOSE[26289] asterisk.c: -- Remote UNIX connection disconnected
[/pre]

I'm getting these connections every 5 minutes ... is this from a device on the system, or is it from a remote logon? This is the first time I'm seeing this, so I'm not sure what this is. The UCx isn't open to the public network and there are no ports open on the firewall, so I don't think it's someone/something from outside. ??

There is a process running on UCx that collects statistical data (CPU, memory, calls) every 5 minutes. To get information about calls, the process connects to Asterisk - that's the connection you see every 5 minutes.

Logs are normal free pbx/asterisk
If none of the settings Fanvil support suggested worked then I would try changing some of these each on their own or in combinations
In Advanced SIP Settings -
What are the other options for DTMF SIP INFO Mode?
try User Agent = Terminal
uncheck convert URI
apply, save, and or reboot after changes

forgot to ask - anything defined in Door Phone Function Key Settings

The DTMF mode is not relevant until there is a call established. To originate a call from the doorphone device, a SIP INVITE message must be sent from that device to UCx. Based on the provided log, there is no call processing triggered - that means no such message was received or the message was rejected by UCx for some reason.

To see SIP messages, you could enable SIP debugging using the command "sip set debug on" on the Asterisk CLI page. You should look for the INVITE message sent just after you dial from the doorphone and the response to that message (if it was sent).
When you finish debugging, don't forget to turn off the SIP debugging using the command "sip set debug off".

Thanks islandtech ... you led me to the solution when you said to check the function key settings. The culprit was a setting for the keypad. This particular doorphone can double as a keypad, and as a terminal to enter a passcode to release an optional door release. The default in the firmware was for password only. I finally found it this morning, and when I changed it to both keypad and passcode, the doorphone successfully made a call.

The only other thing I need to figure out now is how to tell the doorphone to hang up. It doesn't have a terminate button like the Helios did, and I'm thinking the only way I can control it is by modifying the number of seconds the doorphone stays on-hook when a call is in progress. It will automatically terminate when a conversation takes place, but it's a bit stickier when the voice mail answers the call. After a few seconds of silence after recording, the UCx will prompt the user to press 1 to send the message and will then disconnect. Unless there's another way for the user to directly terminate the call, that might be what I'll have to do. I'm confirming with tech support right now. They've been very friendly and helpful in trying to get this to work.

I'm happy we have another device that works (for the most part). You guys are great - it's always helpful to talk through the steps until we come to a solution ... your help is invaluable and very much appreciated. :)

Solved the hanging up issue as well! The doorphone has a keypad, and then it also has a special button in which you can program it to do just about anything. I was able to program it to send a terminate signal to the UCx when a user is finished. Very simple! We'll see how this one does in terms of reliability to the Helios. It's much more robust than the Helios is in terms of construction and the enclosure it comes in ... time will tell!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back