Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Doorphone Controller Question - Why Does the Customer Have Three (3) DOCs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMitelGuy

IS-IT--Management
Mar 28, 2003
CA
Hello!

I was wondering if I could ask a question and see what you folks think?

I have a Nortel Norstar CICS that I've maintained for years and years and years. I didn't install it, however I have maintained it since the previous Nortel dealer went under. This particular system is located on a very large estate (a "grand home" to say the least). They have Nortel T7316e phones in every location/room. They also have a gate/door phone/opener. They have a large set of gates at the front driveway that they keep closed 24x7. When I arrive (for a service appointment) I drive up to the gates, push the doorphones button, chat with security and they buzz me in. This is all handled by the Nortel CICS. So I have one doorphone and one doorphone controller. That's all simple enough - I get all of that. What I don't understand and can't figure out is why I have three (3x) doorphone controllers attached to the Nortel system? They all appear to go into the same security/gate system, but the customer can only open/close one set of gates (that's it). It's not like there is three doors or gates - just one. So then I ask myself - "is there a possible reason for the three (3) units to be setup for the same gate, but for difference purposes?" I don't know if this makes sense to anyone else? I'm just truly lost on why there would be three (3) individual doorphone controllers attached to the same system. It odd to me. I did ask the customer if they ever had more doors or gates they controlled through the Nortel system and they said "no - it's only ever just been the single set of gates at the front." So I'm lost on why these extra two (2) doorphone controllers are attached (and powered up and working). They don't appear to do anything as far as I'm concerned.... Thoughts? Any ideas or guesses would be appreciated!

Thanks so much!

-Unknown Batcave entrance
-Relay to feed the shark tank
-Relay to turn on the sprinkler
-The gate is so heavy it take 3 DOC to open it

Seriously...
I think you need to take a closer look at the wiring for the other two, note it all down and/or take pictures then you can draw a diagram if need.
-check how many pairs of wires are connected in each DOC
-check if they are each connected to the Norstar or daisy chained to each other
-check to see what exact terminals any wires are connected too.
-check to see or see if any pairs from the DOC go to the MDF or out or the room via another cable.
-check dip switches in each one to see if they are different or exact same and what each one is set too.

Maybe the other two go to door strikes, even though no Door Phone is there.
You can also check for any hidden Door Phones by going into port status in maintenance or F9*4.

If you see connections that leave the room (might come from 24v transformer or DOC) aside from the gate then stick a toner on and go around door to door and probe around the strikes for your tone.

Outta Ammo!

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back