Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

don't say hacker

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhsatt

Technical User
Aug 3, 2003
US
Before you say hacker, hear me out. I bought a pc from a office auction. Its running 2k. I'm thinking, ok this is cool. Two problems though. Number one being when I networked in my house. I need a password to see it from my other computers(but I can see the other pc's from it). Number two is It's filtering e-mail attachments because of admin. settings. The big question is can I somehow save the operating system, reinstall, and not have any leftover password stuff? thanks all Jeff

That seem like a lot of work for a few simple issues. First off are the other PC on your home network 98? The way 2000 handles a 98 pc attaching is, create a user, on the 2000 with the same user name that you use with 98, When you attach to the 2000 pc all it asks for is the password, give this new 2000 user's password. Second problem What email software are you using?? You can log in as the admin. and remove the email filters. I added filters to look for things like, "subscribe" I move these to a junk folder.

even if you brought it from an office auction, you should be provided with the CDs that came with the machine, or at least the Win2K install CD

Talk to the office, and see if you can get hold of the cds. then you should be able to reinstall the OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back