Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dont know whats going on with HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

XxS87xX

Technical User
May 29, 2003
CZ
When I turn on the machine with the problem this message pops up almost right away:

Dell's dkisk monitoring system has detected that drive 0 on the primary EIDE controller is operating outside of normal specifications. It is advisable o immediatly backup our data and replace your harddrive by calling support or Dell.
F1 to continue or F2 to setup utility

( I press F1 )

a disk read error
Press CRTL + ALT + Delete to restart

Whats going on. Can the data be saved? how do I take care of this?

Thanks so much

Sean

Is the machine under warranty? (if so, get Dell to fix it).

If not - you need to try to do what it says - rescue your data & replace the disk. If you've access to another machine, try slaving your drive to it and see if you can read/backup data.

Have had this exact problem at work TWICE!! heres a call...

She was in the BIOS screen, I exited and the following message appeared: Dells disk monitoring system has detected that drive 0 on the primary EIDE is operating outside of normal specifications Back up data and replace hard disk!

11/12/2002, 09:12:00 - co-ju
Sorted out Outlook by adding folder list and the subject heading

08/01/2003, 12:15:00 - co-ju
Rung Jacky this morning to get an update to see whether she was still getting the same error messages

27/02/2003, 12:07:00 - co-ju
Run more diagnostics and found there was a read\verify od error

27/02/2003, 12:12:00 - co-ju
We will need a replacement drive as this one could become unreliable

17/03/2003, 10:55:00 - co-ju
Logged a call with Montal Ref Number: I need to do some more checks on the Hard Drive and ring them back

17/03/2003, 15:22:00 - co-ju
Montal are despatching the disk out so it will be with us tommorow and an engineer will be arriving in the morning

18/03/2003, 15:06:00 - co-ju
Montal engineer arrived today and installed and ghosted new drive

... So im pretty sure it's bad news as Wolluf already said, you can download Dell diagnostic software to test HDD as I did, that will tell you exactly what the prob is with it

I got a read/verify error

Good luck, backup now and replace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back