Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Don't allow Anti-Ad Blocking Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmfrance

Programmer
Nov 1, 2001
GB
I have a website that relies on adverts being clicked in order to pay for the servers. Ani-Ad blocking software is really effecting by revenue. Does anyone know of any scripts that I could use that will stop or redirect my webpages if anti-ad software is being used?

You could open a popup and then check if it's still open somehow (javascript?).

Personally, I hate popups whether they pay for servers or not, so I'm not helping you past the idea above.

My sugession... find a better way to display your ads instead of pop-ups. Pop-up blocking software is becoming more and more common. Most ignore the ads anyway (I know I do). I would suggest finding a better way of supporting your server than just ads if you are having problems. I can tell you as a fact, every trick you pull the ad-blocking software will correct it in the next release.

iSeriesCodePoet
IBM iSeries (AS/400) Programmer
[pc2]
Want to have all your bookmarks in one spot?

Don't even think about doing this. This will piss people off to no end. People get popup-killers for the specific purpose of killing popups, they don't want the creators to come up with a sneaky way of getting them to open up anyway. I don't even know if it would be possible to do this.

Even if you did find a way to keep popups open with a popup killer people would just kill them again anyway, so there really isn't much point in trying this.

As mentioned, find a better way to display ads, like rotating banners etc, that is a much better way to market than popups.

relax.gif

have every1 he didn't say they were pop ups!

Pop-ups or not, many ad blocking apps use a library of known advertisement servers. If a file is being sent from those servers, it blocks them. The only way to defeat this is to include the ads somehow in your PHP so the client never knows where the ad originated.

The problem with this is that your entire site may become added to the library of blocked advertisement servers. - - - and advertisement servers may not allow this kind of include since you could fake your own click counts.

- - picklefish - -

The only things that ad-blockers (that aren't integrated into your browser) can close is pop-ups, therefore it's a logical assumption that we are talking about them.

I don't know anyone who actually clicks those things anyway, we all either close them straight away to save bandwidth and taskbar space, or let a program do it for us.

KempCGDR,
Perhaps I was not clear: see
The only way to get around all ad filtering is to funnel all content from your own server in a single page (no pop-ups, no graphic banner pulled from a known ad server).

Didn't NetZero and Juno and BlueLight and (etc.) stop or trim down their ad-supported free internet services because ads did not work? Ads have overwhelmed the internet and that model of business is fading.

If your site is not working with ads, improve your content or search engine rank to generate more traffic, and possibly more ad-clicks - - or go with subscriptions.

- - picklefish - -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back