Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Domino server taking twice the disk space? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

idamann

IS-IT--Management
Dec 30, 2003
US
We are running Domino 5.11 with approximately 300 local and VPN-local users. The directory that Domino is housed reports it is using nearly twice the disk space that it is actually using.

EXE: drive space total 160GB, used = 135GB(this is what is reported by a disk properties selection), the only thing on this drive is Domino. By selecting the Domino directory, it shows 70GB worth of files there.

my manager is looking for an explanation for this, I have been unsuccessful in finding an answer so I thought I would post here.

thank you in advance for any help.

NB

What type of Backup Software are you using? Veritas with Open File OPtion?

currently CA Arcserve, but we will be going to Veritas soon.

NB

idamann,

when last did the ncompact task run? If there is a space issue, try and run the 'ncompact.exe' from a command prompt. i had a similar issue a year ago which did help to reduce the size of the notes db. one other thing to try is to schedule some down time and runa defrag on the disk\s that have the notes data. i know it sounds corny, but give it a try as the operating system maybe on the fritz.

regatds

Trust the OS in this. If the OS see the disks as full, notes can report all the free space in the world ;)

Make a program document on your notes server to run the compact task on a weekly basis, where you compact all DB's which are under 85% or so, used.
Just make sure you schedule it to run in off hours ;)

I'll be bringing down our Domino server today after hours and trying this.

I'll report back what happens.

thanks in advance for the help.

NB

OK, looks like it ran through about half of our users here in 12 hours overnight and freed up about 7GB of disk space so far.

I will most likely run this over the weekend and bring the server down for the time period.

I will run the disk checks on it this weekend as well.

thanks for the help all.

Id@

I was reading through posts to find any info because we are finally upgrading the server to 6.5 soon and I will be in charge of it and found this old thread from me.

what actually happened here is that the server was hacked and was being used as a dump site with a backend FTP and had about 60GB worth of pirated movies and games on it.

The files were hidden deep into the recycle bins and took quite a bit of fooling around with them to finally get them clean.

After it was all said and done, I ended up freeing about 70GB worth of space and brought the drive down to about 55% capacity which was much better than needing to upgrade to a bigger disk.

Id@

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back