Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Domino server shuts down unexpectedly

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMOK

IS-IT--Management
Sep 19, 2003
US
I have a Domino server 6 running on a 2000 server. About one week ago it started to shutdown every night or early in the morning. The event log for 2000 and Domino show no errors or signs of anything.

Thanks,

SMOK "smoke"

I would make sure that you have the latest Domino service pack installed. Also, Does the whole box or just the domino server shut down?

Only the Domino server. I have version 6.01 running and will install the latest update.
These past couple of times, when I try to restart the serer, it locks up and I have to reboot the entire server. Haven't checked the Domino log today, but I dont expect much in there.

Thanks

Does anybody else have access to the server? Perhaps someone is shutting it down. Could be a process on the server or shutdown command in your backup routine?
I used to work in a domino shop and had domoino running on an AS/400, sometimes our operators would forget to bring up the server after backup. We corrected that with a AS/400 script.

My backup does not shutdown the domino server when backing up. How can I find if there are any scripts or agents that are scheduled to run on the server?
The shutdowns occur at a different time throughout the day or night. Recently when I restart from the icon, it works, but if I restart from the service, it hangs and I have to restart the entire server. I have replication set-up with an r5 server; could that be doing it?
I do not have too much experience with Administrating the Domino Server.

I would start by upgrading to Domino 6.3. From what you described, it sounds like your server is crashing, not shutting down. How do the mailboxes look after the server comes back online? Does the server crash during scheduled replication with your R5 box? Few things to check. Hope this helpd.

Rgds,

John Judge

I doubt the replication is doing it. You may want to check with your Win server guys and make sure that they are not running any scripts that shuts down the server. I would look into using a product to backup the Notes server while open. This way you can backup the N&A book while the server is up. Otherwise you have to shut down the Notes server to get a good backup of the N&A book.

I ran the updates to 6.03 and upgraded the other server to 6.01. The server has not crashed or errored for over 1 week. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back