Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Domino Server connection problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

hstan

MIS
Apr 12, 2002
SG
Hi, thanks for looking into my problem.

I'm currently station in AP (AsiaPacific). My Company HQ located at US. There's a Domino server at each location (AP_server & US_server) and with the use of VPN, both formed a Domino Cluster. My company is using 128kbps leased line.

Case 1: My location preference is "US_server". So whenever I access/open/read/send mail or do whatever, it will take a very long time for the US_server to respond, and sometimes I might receive error such as "Server Not Responding". I understand that this happens due to the long distance (from Singapore => US).

Case 2: My location preference is "AP_server". Since it's connecting to a local server, I can read/open/access/send mail or do whatever instantly.

The problem:
If I send out an email to myself (Location preference: US_server), I can receive it almost immediate (assuming that the connection between AP & US is good). Whereas when my location preference is AP_server, I receive NOTHING (although I'm able to send out emails without a problem).

One thing puzzling me is that if I (location is AP_server) send an email to a user, whose location preference is also AP_server, he can receive it immediately. If he sends an email to himself, he can receive immediately as well.(not too sure about what would happen if he connects to US server). BUT if he sends an email to me, I receive NOTHING as well. If I change my location preference back to US_server, I can receive all the mails BUT not those that I send to myself.

Can anyone please kindly advise on this issue? is it due to the communication problem between 2 servers (i.e. AP & US server)? or is it the NT permission problem?

As my AP division does not have any VPN setting, therefore, all mobile users are require to estalish VPN connection with the US HQ network in order to connect to the domino server i.e. US_server when out-of-office. That's explain why my location preference is default to US_server.

Thanks for reading my long posting and hope I'll get some advice from all you lotus notes experts.

I would check 2 things. 1) Make sure your Person document in your Domino Directory is pointing to the same mail file and mail server location as your Location document is. 2) Make sure you have cluster replication enabled for your email files on both servers. (Domino Admin client, select your server, Files tab, select your mail file, Tools, Database, Cluster, Enable cluster replication.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back