Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Domino server attempting to route massive amounts of bogus mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hi,

My new newly installed Domino server (R5.0.6a) is attempting to route massive amounts of mail to bogus domains. The console is spewing out a steady stream of messages like:

&quot;Router: Transferring mail to domain SOMEDOMAIN.COM <host SOMEHOST.COM> via SMTP&quot;

Followed by:

&quot;Router: No messages transferred to SOMEDOMAIN.COM <host SOMEHOST.COM> via SMTP: Server not responding&quot;

This looks an awful lot like some sort of infection or script that is running on my server and is trying to mail itself out to other domains to infect them. The server has NAV for Lotus Domino installed.

Has anyone seen this before? Is this an attack or infection or is it some faulty SMTP Router configuration?

Help would be greatly appreciated!!

Derek

After further investigation it appears that the server is trying to route external emails. Obviously there is a mis-configuration somewhere. Can any Domino gurus' out there tell me where I went wrong. I certainly don't want my server trying to route email for the whole Internet!!

TIA

Derek

There is a detailed document regarding this topic in the Lotus support Database:

Title: Domino R5 Router Restrictions and Controls Explained
Number: 179898
Date: 05/16/2001

Perhaps this will help you along.

There are also instructions on how to prevent this on
mail-abuse.org website. And just so you know it does work I had to go there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back