Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Domino - open relay? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

fluid11

IS-IT--Management
Jan 22, 2002
US
I just set up a Domino R5.0.9 Mail server on a Linux box. How can I ensure that the server is not set up as an open relay? Is this the default or do I have to make changes to secure the server?

Thanks,
Chris

do this :

Edit the configuration document for your SMTP server,
Go to Router/SMTP
Restrictions and Controls
SMTP Inbound Controls
Under ‘Inbound Relay Controls’, put a * (asterisk) in the following fields :
Deny messages from external internet domains to be sent to the following internet domains :
Deny messages from external internet domains to be sent to external internet domains :

Then edit notes.ini
and type this in it
SMTP_OCH_REJECT_SMTP_ORIGINATED_MESSAGES=1
SMTPMTA_ALLOW_KNOWN_DOMAINS=1
SMTPMTA_RELAY_FORWARDS=1

restart the server and it will not be in open relay --------------------------------------------------------------------
How can I believe in God when just last week I got my tongue caught in the roller of an electric typewriter?
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I have not failed, I've just found 10,000 ways that don't work
---------------------------------

Thanks! I have no idea what those 3 lines in the notes.ini file mean. Am I supposed to know? Does it matter where in the notes.ini file I put them?

Thanks again,
Chris

you can find more information on the support site of IBM/Lotus...
it doesn't matter where you put them
(I've put them at the bottom... but it doesn't matter) --------------------------------------------------------------------
How can I believe in God when just last week I got my tongue caught in the roller of an electric typewriter?
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I have not failed, I've just found 10,000 ways that don't work
---------------------------------

Peterve,

I did all that you instructed but it seems my relay is still open. I dont know why it worked for Fluid11. But its not working for me. I checked notes.net too and they said do the same thing as you informed but it's not working. What else should I check? Thankd in advance.

Stats: Lotus 5.0.10

if i'm not mistaken those .ini settings are for R4.x btw.

Woonjas
IRC: #notes on EFNet

Actually, I never tried them. My Domino migration plans were cancelled before I got a chance to do it.

ChrisP ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If somebody helps you, please click the link in the botton left hand corner that says "Mark this post as a helpful/expert post".

all those 3 line that peterve mention, that is the correct way to block out sider from using your SMTP server as an flood relay. and those 3 lines work perfact for me :) have no problem on spaming using my SMTP server :)

For blinding relay needed secondery SMTP.
Step 1
In Domino administrator in messaging settings add Relay host to Internet

Step 2
In secondery SMTP restrict inbound: only from Domino relaying

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back