Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Domains and user profiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgilmore

Technical User
Jan 2, 2001
US
Hello. This is very confusing so please bare with me.

I have a laptop running Win 2000 Pro. I changed the domain the computer was in to one that I have at my house. That was sucessful, I was able to access resources in my domain. Well, I decided to change the computer back to it's original configuration. When I did this an error came up and told me that my domain is not accessible or doesn't exsist. Alls well except for the user profile. I have a profile that I used to log on with and it has specific Outlook information for dialing up with PAL to a Exchange Server to retrieve my email. I have tried to redirect the profile and log on to try to access my email but it tells me there is a network error and the information store is not avaiable. Also, I don't understand why these people would have had this computer logging onto a domain that is non-exsistant. How do you add multiple domains to the drop down box at logon?

Sorry if this is confusing. If you can make heads of any of this I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance!

TGilmore

Okay, let me first get this straight:

1) Your laptop belonged to Domain A
2) You switched to Domain B (your house)
3) You want to switch back to Domain A, but got an error that Domain A was not available.

Correct?

If so, could you answer the following questions:

1) Are you a Domain Admin for Domain A?
2) Is your machine currently a member of Domain A?
3) Does your machine use DHCP, or do you have a "hard" IP address?

I just had a similar problem with a user on our domain. He had 3 profiles in 2 domains. He is in a network currently by himself so I switched him to a workgroup. In doing so, one of his profiles became unknown. This was bad because he had specific Emails and contacts in his outlook express. You can go into your hard drive and fingd your logon name for that profile you need to get your outlook info back. Cowboy covered the questions for helping with the domain, hope this can help with the outlook prob!

Matt Wray
CCNA

each time you switch groups or domains in the network id you have to change it back i.e joining domain a then joining domain b
also when you do this it is possible you need to reattach that machine to the domain. I could be wrong but I am only going with what I am reading.

From the problems I encountered, I found that you can still access the profile of domain a if not connected, as long as you don't change the status to workgroup(which I did), then you will need the DC to get it back.

Matt WRay
CCNA

One important thing to note here. In a Windows NT Domain, most Windows NT/2000 clients have to have their computer names added to the Domain first. Then when you attempt to join the domain, a SSID (Security Server ID) is created which acts like your key to talk to the domain controller(s).

The problem is that when you change the domain name under network settings, then you destroy the SSID. The only way to get it back is to have an admin give your computer name rights to join the domain again. Once you've joined, you need to leave the domain name alone. In Windows XP Pro, they finally found a way around this problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back