Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DomainA users unable to access DomainB with policies

Status
Not open for further replies.

matrix101

MIS
Jun 5, 2007
US
Hello all,

I hope someone can help me with this. I have 2 domains, A and B, to keep it simple. The users are on DomainA and the computer accts and policies are on DomainB. The users can authenticate when opening a secured command prompt on any of the computer in DomainB and they can even log into the computers in DomainB with their DomainA credentials.

The problem is that when they log into the computers in DomainB with DomainA credentials they policies attached to the OU the computer accts are located in are not applied.

It seems the SIDs of the users accts on DomainA are not being read by DomainB. We do have a firewall between the two domains - could this be the reason and if so why is it that they can be authenticated...???

Any advise or explainations would be appreciated!!! thx.

How is your A and B domains connected? Is there a domain trust created between the 2 domains, or are they domains part of a larger domain forest?

They are part of the same forest and there is a 2-way transint trust between the two domains.

I just recently found out that because the users reside on Domain A and the policies and computer accts exist on Domain B when I try to log into the computer (belonging to Domain B) with a user acct (belonging to domain A) the policies are not being applied because the compute authenticates directly to Domain A, thus; it doesn't know about the policies sitting on Domain B! It makes sense so far to me but whether its true or not I'm not 100% sure yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back