Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Domain User, Local Rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

munsonbrown

Vendor
May 15, 2000
US
How do I give a win2k domain user rights to install software on her local XP machine.

Either right-click on My Computer on your machine or hers and select Manage. If you're on your machine, right-click Computer Management (Local) and select Connect to another computer ... and enter her computer address or name. Expand the Local Users and Groups section, click on Groups. Double-click on Power Users and click add. Either enter the username as domain\username or select your domain from the Look in drop down list and find her username.

Once they're in the local power users group, the user will have to log off and back on for the changes to take effect. Marc Creviere

I just gave that a try. I think the problem I'm having now is that the account I want to give rights to is not a "local user" account, but rather a domain account. Local users and groups are not available on domain controllers. Any other tips, or did I miss something in your explaination? Thanks for the help so far...

I think you missed something. You can put domain accounts in local groups. The end result of the instructions above is that her domain account is in the power users group on the local machine. So when the account domain\thisuser logs into that machine, she has the rights assigned to the power users group on that (local) machine. Then she can install software. Marc Creviere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back