Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

domain url's and authentication

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhafer

IS-IT--Management
Mar 14, 2001
US
Our SharePoint Portal Server 2003 website can be access through the internet ( I go to this link, SharePoint will open a username/password popup box. If I put in simply my username and password, it won't let me in. If I put in my server domain and username (domain\user) with my password, it will let me in fine. The problem with this is 90% of the users don't know our internal Microsoft Domain, and we don't want to make them sign in this way. Any thoughts?

Hello,

When accessing a portal from the Internet you will have to provide the domain\username since users in sharepoint are added with a domain accounts. This information is not "registered" anywhere when the users are coming from the Internet side, so they system would not know that it is a valid user (useraccount) that is trying to access the system.

It is the same way when you logon to your LAN you always logon to your domain (even though you do not have to manually provide that info since the computer already is a member of a domain).

We are using Active Directory and it is setup so users can logon using their "e-mail address" so there might be a way for you to set that up aswell if you are running A.D becuase most users do know their email address :)

Not sure if the above actually helps you but that is how we are running one of our environments.

Regards,
Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back