Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Domain Upgrade from NT to 2003 AD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 1, 2006
US
Hi, I hope this is the right place but any ways, I know we are years behind times but we are currently working on upgrading our current NT domain to 2003 Active Directory. We are setting up a new domain in the 2003 environment and then setting up trusts to our NT domain and then are planning on using the Migration utility provided by Microsoft to move the Users, Groups, and Computers, as well as Mail boxs from our current Exchange 5.5 box to the new Exchagen 2003 boxs. We have the 2003 domains up and functioning and have the trusts, DNS and all setup and are doing some testing with moving some test PCs from the NT domain to the 2003 domain and when we use the migraton utility to move the computer accounts from the NT domain to the 2003 domain it adds the computer to the 2003 domain but the computer does not change domains. When you go to the PC running Windows 2000 Pro it still says it is on the NT domain. When we logon to the new 2003 domain with that box it of course creates a new profile as it thinks it is a differnet domain. Are we doing something wrong with moving the computers account or is their something configured wrong or does the Microsoft migration Utility v3.0 not work real good for moving computer accounts? Also if their is a better way to move the computer account and stuff i am always open to working solutions.

Thanks for you help,
Josh Larsen

I think this is probably not the correct forum for questions like this. Beneath this message you'll see a variety of links showing the path to this forum. Click on "Forums" and explore the Enterprise forums. I think you may find other, more appropriate, forums there. Good luck in your migration. Just make certain you have a rollback plan in case things go awry!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back