Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Domain Trusts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 2, 2004
GB
Am i going mad here or is it that people wont listen to me.. please advise...

Ok heres what is driving me mad. I have just been asked to look after some software that is on one of our domains.
For the sake of it we have 3 domains and we will call them 1 - 2 and 3

Domain 1 and 2 are trusted
Domain 3 isnt trusted to any of the above.
All on are the same ip range.
The software we have is intrusion detection software and is installed on a central computer in domain 3.
An agent is installed on to all of the other Servers in Domain 1 and 2.
The software uses 2 ports both of which are allowed through the firewall in both directions.
After the install the agent starts to show that it is running on the central computer however it is meant to be joining various computer groups in order send back information to the central computer.

The problem is that even though the agent (Which is a service) is showing as running it is not sending any data back to the central computer because the central computer can not advise the agent which groups to join.

Now i believe this is due to the fact that there is no trust between the domains so there for it can not send any data from domain 3 to the other 2 because there is no trust.

I hope this makes sense and can someone tell me if im right im my thinking.

Clubsceneuk2,

How is the central computer authenticating on domains 1 and 2?
Have you created a domain service account or are you using local credentials?

Regards,

As far as im aware it isnt.
It has been set up to pull DNS records from the domain via the tcp/ip advanced DNS settings.
They have added a service account on domain one called svc-idsagent@domain1.com and another one on domain 3 called svc-idsagent@domain3.com however because these are again different i dont believe they will work.

So as far as im aware the agent uses local credentials but the agent is all that is on domain 1.

I hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back