Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Domain Trusts Over VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

techshoot

Programmer
Aug 25, 2001
US
I am about to setup a VPN at a main office that has an existing Win NT4 server domain using a DSL connection. At my home office I have a Win NT4 domain and a dial-up connection to the internet (no DSL available yet). What steps do I need to look at to setup a trust relationship between the two domains when I setup the VPN?

Just a piece of advice from my experience, you don't want to setup a trust between domains that will not constantly be able to talk to each other. There's a good chance that you'll spend more time breaking and re-establishing the trust then you will doing anything else.

If you are dead-set on doing this and you aren't using WINS at your home, you'll need to create an LMHOST file for each machine that will be contacting your domain at work. In it you will need to make entries for each machine on the distant end that you'll need to talk with.

Are you ever on ICQ, Yahoo! Messenger, AIM, or MSN Messenger? There's a lot to this whole subject and real-time chat would make this a lot easier to talk about.

Email me at majestrate@hotmail.com with the answer/username to my question and a time that you're on. I won't be signing in to any of those until about 1730 PST or 2030 EST.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back