Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Domain server crashed need your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

talkdev

ISP
Aug 2, 2002
IN
Hi,
My domain controller gor crashed , I have system state backup.How do i use it to restore my domain controller?.
DO i have to install the active Directory also.?

Pls advice.
dev

Please reread your post and think about your question. You give us no information to help us help you!

Theres a ton of people wanting to help but with this sort of question it makes it impossible.

Does it get past the BIOS boot?
Does the server boot at all to windows?
What error is displayed?
Have you tried running a repair?
What is it that makes you believe there is something wrong with it?
Is the network cable plugged in?

There are lots of people here wanting to help but you have to at least give us something to work with.

Read these on getting the most out of Tek-tips.com:
faq20-2883
faq581-3339

Then try rephrasing the question.

Iain

Sorry spirit ,
here is the detail.
My hard disk crashed i can not resuse it.I want to install new OS ( windows 2003) andthen use system state restore.
I need information that during this procedure do i have to install Active directory also.??

regards
dev

let me try to understand your problem here. Your old hard drive failed, you now replace it with a new hard drive and thus want to install a new OS onto it. Then you want to use system restore. What for? are you trying to restore from your old crash hard drive.

I have a system state backup on a cd and also on another hard drive.

Let me try again. I have a system state backup of the same Domain controller whose hard drive got crashed on a cd and also on another hard drive.Is there any way to bring up that domain server up again with all the Active directory objects etc with the help of system state backup.

Yes you can, but i must warn you. It be possible that your new OS will not boot up. Restore is under the system tools then backup. Open the file you want to restore then make sure you choose System State.

Why don't you create a new forest that way its easier than doing the restore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back