Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Domain of sender does not exist problem???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vachaun22

Programmer
Oct 7, 2003
US
I'm pretty sure this might be a bind issue. So, related info is as follows:

sendmail-8.13.8-2.el5
bind-9.3.3-9.0.1.el5

I have the following layout:

All incoming email hits sendmail, and is scanned by clamav and spamassassin, then goes back to sendmail for delivery. 3 domains are involved. [domain1.com] resolves (or should) to an internal exchange box, [domain2.com] and [domain3.com] email address are local to the linux box.

All incoming mail appears to get delivered correctly, ie: address@domain1.com ends up on the exchange server. At this point, I'm assuming address@domain2.com and address@domain3.com are receiving mail correctly from outside.

However, when I try to send email from address@domain1.com to address@domain2.com, a delivery failure notification is created with the error

Diagnostic-Code: smtp;553 5.1.8 <address@domain2.com>... Domain of sender address address@domain1.com does not exist

Bind has master zones files for domain1.com, domain2.com, and domain3.com. But it seems as though domain1.com doesn't resolve properly (and quite possible neither do the others).

If anyone has any suggestions, it'd be greatly appreciated.

NOTE: This configuration was working on a FC4 box, but was recently upgraded to CentOS 5.

I have a very similar problem. I think I understand the cause of the problem, but I am not sure what the final solution will be.

When sending from mydomain to ent_domain I get the same error you get.

"smtp;553 5.1.8 <address@domain2.com>... Domain of sender address address@domain1.com does not exist"

I was using masquarade_domain in the sendmail.cf to change mydomain to ent_domain since the smtp server resides on ent_domain. I had been configuring the myhost.mc file and running make to the rebuild the sendmail.cf file. As it turns out I read that after ver 8.12 mail-submission by default no longer uses sendmail.cf, It uses submit.cf. I found a way to test this.

#/usr/lib/sendmail -Am -v email_add </dev/null
replace email_add with your email address

This causes sendmail and mail-submission to use the sendmail.cf file. Sure enough it works correctly.

So now I need to figure out, do I recompile the submit.cf file with the options/settings that I used in sendmail.cf? or is there some other method that I should use.

I hope that this helps you.

I would appreciate it is anyone can answer my last question!!!

Thanks,
cnull

Modifying submit.cf was the key. It all works now!!! Hope this helps.
cnull

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back