Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Domain Not Visible at Logon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I believe this is an sms issue, but I will post to NT as well.<br>Every once in a while, when pressing Ctrl/Alt/Del to log in, the machine will think about it for a couple of minutes, then come up with a login window.&nbsp;&nbsp;The login screen does NOT include our company domain, just name/password.<br>I have been told the fix to this is to un-install the sms client (20clicln.bat) and remove the 2 users that sms installs.&nbsp;&nbsp;This has seemed to work off and on, but i am wondering if there is any other explanation for it.&nbsp;&nbsp;I cannot find anything about it at Microsoft, and have started a thread there as well to no avail yet.<br><br>Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated as this is becoming more and more annoying.<br>Most clients are NT4 SP5. <p> <br><a href=mailto: anongod@hotmail.com> anongod@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>"Drawing on my fine command of language, I said nothing."

Do you have Client Access installed on the workstation. If so there is a problem with Ctrl_alt-Del taking a very long time to come up and when it does there is no Domain Line showing. If this is your problem, I have found that I can delete the following key from the Registry: HKLM - CurrentControlSet - Services - Cwbnetnt - NetworkProvider &quot;ProviderPath&quot;=&quot;C:\Program Files\IBM\Client Access\Shared\Cwbnetnt.dll”<br><br>The downside to this is that you can't browse AS400 in network neighborhood. There could be other issues, but I haven't found any others yet. I am still testing this. <br><br>

Cannot thank you enough.&nbsp;&nbsp;This has been a plague in our company for many months, and it would have been a while before we connected this with Client Access.<br><br>So far, this has worked like a charm, I will try to pass on any issues we have with this as well.<br><br>Thanks! <p> <br><a href=mailto: anongod@hotmail.com> anongod@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>"Drawing on my fine command of language, I said nothing.

I would more likely pursue this as an NT issue.&nbsp;&nbsp;The list of domains available to log onto is derived from the WINS server, or an LMHosts file with a specified Domain controller.&nbsp;&nbsp;After a successful logon, ping the WINS Server or Domain controller and see if it is a timeout issue.&nbsp;&nbsp;The [01h] after the computer name in the WINS database designates domain controllers.

I am glad this is helping. Please let me know if you find any issues with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back