Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Domain naming

Status
Not open for further replies.

VeeFour

Technical User
Nov 24, 2002
GB
I am setting up a server that is going to run a multi-user database and will be sending and receiving alot of emails via exchange5.5.

I have an internet domain registered for the emails so do I name the domain mydomain.co.uk, or mydomain.local as suggested by the windows installer for security purposes?

My aim is to get email sent to and from mydomain.co.uk to get to my server and then use exchange to distribute to various mailboxes.

The name of your AD domain has nothing to do with the name of your internet domain. The current thought process from Microsoft is to use domain.local, domain.prv, etc. Basicaily you want to use a DNS name for the domain that can not be found on the internet.

Are you adding this server into an existing domain, or is this machine going to be a standalone machine with the database and Exchange both installed? If it will have both, is a domain needed? Having AD installed on a machine with a database server and Exchange will add unneeded overhead.

Denny

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

[noevil]
(My very old site)

Basically the server will run an SQL or Jet backend, Exchange and central virus protection. It will be connected to 3 small networks of 5 to 10 client machines per network all with an Access front end.

It has 3 ADSL connections, 1 for each network connected to a 4 port gigabyte network switch on the server which will then route the the traffic.

I have a choice of software:
Windows Server 2003 Standard & Exchange 2003 or
Windows Server 2003 Small Business Server

I also need to monitor and log all network traffic, emails and user details.

Regards..

Terry

If you are going to use MS SQL, so with the SBS server. Since it encludes Exchange and SQL.

No matter which database you choose, make sure you've got plenty of ram. 2+ Gig is what I would start with. That may need to be increased. Exchange and SQL both love RAM, and use lots of it.

Denny

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

[noevil]
(My very old site)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back