Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Domain Name 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

DColcl

MIS
Sep 22, 2003
US
Goofing off and learning new stuff. Question:

I am creating new LAN. Should I name the local Domain the same name as my Internet Domain name? I will be installing a SBS 2k3 for practice and would like to know if it makes a difference. I see that during the installation processes it gives me an example that "points" me to name my LAN Domain the same as my Internet Domain.
I will then have my Server as: server1.mydomain.com

Does it make a differance if I were not sitting behind a firewall?

Dan

It's takes less work if you using something like mydomain.local

Otherwise, you'll have to create some additional DNS records to point internal web browsers to your public website (assuming you're not hosting it).

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

thank you, Pat.
So, yes it would be better to name my local domain the same as my Internet domain?

Nope, it's actually better to name it differently. Do as 58sniper suggested. Call it whatever name you want but add the .local at then end. The easiest is to call it "your current Internet domain.local". Then when you are ready to host your emails in-house, all you need to do is modify the recipient policy in ESM so that your domain.com is automatically added to your email address when the mailboxes are created.

I agree with 58sniper. use .local instead of .com

It's easier to work with the internal DNS records that if you were to name your internal domain with a .com at the end

correction

It's easier to work with the internal DNS records THAN if you were to name your internal domain with a .com at the end. in other words don't use .com

cool. thank you all for your replies.

hmmm. I thought it automatically added the .local at the end. for the sake of my SSSSSsssssslooow comprehension...

my Internet name is: my internal domain name will be: serverin

Once again, thank you.

Dan

your internal FQDN should be serverout.local

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

Say that i have set a domain name different than may i-domain name..
Is it possible to rename the domain and also have all the clients auto-identify the new domain name or will i have to re-change their settings?
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back