Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Domain Name Pre-Windows 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

billyakabachi

Technical User
Jan 9, 2003
US
Hi all

Hopefully someone can enlighten me. We are currently testing upgrade scenarios from Windows NT 4.0 to Windows 2000 AD. In our test environment I've promoted one of our BDC to PDC to active directory (ABC = Domain Name Pre-Windows 2000), I believe thats the NETBIOS name. can i move that AD system to our live nt4 domain (ABC). I think it isn't possible since there will be two PDC's named ABC (ABC = Domain Name Pre-Windows 2000, PDC emulator) and (ABC = NT 4 domain). Would that work and if not any way around it. What type of problems will i run into. Thanks all

I don't understand what you want.
You can do always a smooth transition:
option1
- upgrade your WinNT PDC to Windows 2000, and install Active Directory on it
- keep your BDC as NT and then disband/or upgrade them one by one

option2
- install a clean w2k, as domain controller (AD installed)
- use ADMT (migration tool from microsoft) to migrate NT4 accounts/groups/rights to the new Win2k server
- after above operation your all BDC should be down. migrating is working just if the Active directory is running in native mode! and in this case, you cannot have NT4 BDCs.
- install win2k on the old BDCs (removing previous OS), and install AD on them (making them domain controllers of the domain that you have)

Gia Betiu
gia@almondeyes.net
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5, MCSE Win2K
new: (just started)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back