Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

domain name/ip resolution changes every few minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookouri

IS-IT--Management
Feb 23, 2000
US
We have 3 2008r2 domain controllers. Each dc is a gc and dns server. We noticed that if one of the dc's was offline for a few minutes users sometimes had odd problems. What seems to be happening is a domain name "resolution" problem. If we ping our ad domain at mydomain.local from a member server, it returns the ip address of one of the dc's, say 192.168.1.10... if we continue to ping mydomain.local for about 10 minutes the name resolution will change so that ping mydomain.local is now a different ip/dc at say 192.168.1.13. and every few minutes it will progress to the next dc/ip. It keeps switching from ip to ip every few minutes. If one of the dcs is down when its turn comes up, ping mydomain.local just fails for 10 minutes until it switches to the next server and then everything is back to normal. The individual dcs can always be pinged at their name/ip address if they are up and running. The only problem is what ip is associated with mydomain.local at any given time. If it happens to be a dc that is offline, then we have problems for the 10 minutes that it tries that ip and when it clicks over to the next ip in line, we're back to normal again. I hate putting this out because it sounds just too strange, but I have watched this round robin name resolution go on for several hours and can't explain it.

I can not find any references to tell me what could be going on here, so i am stuck unless somebody out there has some idea about what might be going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back