Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Domain join from wifi connected laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2007
US
Windows 10 Pro laptop client with Windows Server 2012 (Small Business Server) domain.
Is there any reason why I can't join the domain when connected to wifi? All the DNS settings are the same as a wired client as shown by IPCONFIG. I just can't find anything on the internet that explains this. Is there a group policy or is it a firewall setting? As soon as I plug the laptop via ethernet, I can join the domain.

But then if I unplug the laptop and use wifi, it fails to access the network resources and the connection type for the wifi connection is PRIVATE instead of DOMAIN.

Is it a different IP range? I know if it's a different IP range, it won't see the DC correctly and join.

(Usually, your wifi and LAN are different subnets)

Just my $.02

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Thanks for trying to help!!! Small office. Wired/wifi on same subnet. Same DNS settings. Manual setting of gateway on the domain clients. DHCP is on the router.

Wired PC Windows IP Configuration Nothing different on the wireless clients except not usually static IP.
192.168.2.1 Asus router
192.168.2.10 2012 Server

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : ALIGNER-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : MOTIVE.local
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : MOTIVE.local

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82567LM-3 Gigabit Network Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-23-24-06-7F-D1
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.51(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.10
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

I saw a reference to making sure that the wireless was running Windows ZeroConfig, that helps with domain joins.

Of course, make sure the wireless computer are running a version of Windows that can actually join a domain (Pro or Enterprise)

The other thing is in Settings --> Network and Internet --> WiFi, select Manage Known Networks and change it from "Private" to "Domain"

Just my $.02

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Per Microsoft Link
[The Wireless Zero Configuration programming interface is no longer supported as of Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008. Instead, use the Native Wifi API, which provides similar functionality. For more information, see About the Native Wifi API.]

The other thing is in Settings --> Network and Internet --> WiFi, select Manage Known Networks and change it from "Private" to "Domain"
Do you mean BEFORE or AFTER trying to join the domain? I believe I tried after joining via ethernet and then connecting via wifi. Could not access network shares. I believe I could NOT change it to a domain connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back