Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Domain disappears from Network Neighborhood

Status
Not open for further replies.

rxpete

IS-IT--Management
Dec 27, 2001
US
I have W2K server with about 10 machines connected to it. After log on at a workstation, the domain can be seen and browsed in Network Neighborhood. However after some time (seemingly overnight), when Network Neighborhood is opened, no domain is visible for browsing; the window is completely blank. This seems to happen most often with W98 machines but also happens to W2K workstations. Logging off and back on will return things to normal. Even when the domain is not visible in Network Neighborhood window, domain resources are still accessible via, e.g., C:>\\office1\c\, e-mail can be sent and received, and the domain controller responds to pinging. So what can cause this disappearance in Network Neighborhood? I am puzzled.

Netbios dissapears for some reason. Do you have a wins server? You cannot brouse if Netbios is disabled.

rincewind21

Can you open a browser and type in the missing domain manually? I've had the same problem, and it's not really gone, but just doesn't show up. I go and type \\domanename\ Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional

"To know, is to know that you know nothing.
That is the meaning of true knowledge."
Confucius (c. 551-479 B.C.) Chinese philosopher

I have the same problem too... but I've noticed also that if you are not log-on to the domain like youre on a standalone or in a workgroup... you can see everybody...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back