Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Domain Controller unabailable (by MS Exchange 2003)

Status
Not open for further replies.

phadobas

Technical User
Jul 30, 2005
US
I have 2 Win2003 servers. One is running MS Exchange and the other is running Blackberry Enterprise Server 5 (or also called BES), and this latter one also acts as the domain controller between the two.
The Exchange server is a virtual machine, and I've been accessing it via RDP, no problem

They have been running just fine, but about 3 days ago, the BES told me that there was an update available for Adobe Reader, which I applied. It didn't require a server reboot.

Shortly after the update, the first thing I noticed was that the BES appeared to not be on the network. I was working on another computer at the same time, and I was trying to ping it from BES and couldn't. First I suspected this other computer to be the problem. At this time I wasn't suspecting any problem with the BES, so what I've done with it exactly - I wasn't logging all my actions...

But something led me to reboot the BES, and maybe an hour later I noticed that not all functionality of the BES was working fine. It wasn't able to reach the Blackberry phones any more. A few test determined that all its Blackberry services were running, and after this reboot, it was back on the network.

But when I really realized there was a problem was when I was trying to RDP to the Exchange server, and I couldn't. Error message:
"The system could not log you on due to the following error: Access Denied"

I'm able to go to vSphere console and log into the Exchange server via this console. But not RDP.

Since then, I've been poking around, trying to get this setup working again.
What I've seen so far is there are some Microsoft Exchange services that won't start up. IN the event log the first error message I'm seeing when the problem started is
Event ID 2102: Process MAD.exe. All Domain Controller Servers in use are not responding.

I've spotted first that the time on the Exchange server was way off (some hours behind). The VM host had the correct time in its BIOS, but for unknown reasons, this Exchange VM was off by many hours. So I configured the VM Host to use NTP, then rebooted the VM, and it came up with the correct time. But my problems remained. I don't even know - as I never paid attention - if the time was always wrong on this VM before.

The 2 servers are able to ping each other still.

I've seen an article, which said that a common mistake being made is that the primary DNS for the Domain Controller is not set to itself. I had mine set to my provider's DNS, so I changed that to itself. Problems remained. The DNS for the Exchange is set to the IP Address of the BES server.

These are what I know. I'm not sure what other information would be relevant to post here, I'm sure there are a lot more info that's needed, so if anyone can help on this, that would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back