Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Domain controller restore

Status
Not open for further replies.

parktek08

IS-IT--Management
Dec 7, 2008
I had two domain controllers DC1, DC2, win server 2003, DC1 containing Global catalog and also ran exchange. DC1 failed yesterday and I ended up restoring last night's full backup on to DC2 by running DC2 in directory service restore mode. both had similar hardware so restoring the image pretty much went through, except one glitch when I had to install network driver and set the IP settings to exactly match what DC01 had before failing. Being the naïve I am, I did not realize that domain controllers can not be restored like that. Now none of the computers in the domain have any trust relation with domain, if I try to join a new computer to domain it says domain is not found, all network shares are broken and all that fun stuff. I don't have any working domain controller in the domain right now to clean meta data and other things using ntdsutil. dcdiag throws bunch of errors starting with replication error, not being able to find netlogon share, ridmanager test failed.
Please help. I am not sure what needs to be done to get things working again.

Here is the event I am getting in event viewer along with other errors
This server is the owner of the following FSMO role, but does not consider it valid. For the partition which contains the FSMO, this server has not replicated successfully with any of its partners since this server has been restarted. Replication errors are preventing validation of this role.

Operations which require contacting a FSMO operation master will fail until this condition is corrected.

FSMO Role: CN=RID Manager$,CN=System,DC=aat,DC=local

User Action:

1. Initial synchronization is the first early replications done by a system as it is starting. A failure to initially synchronize may explain why a FSMO role cannot be validated. This process is explained in KB article 305476.
2. This server has one or more replication partners, and replication is failing for all of these partners. Use the command repadmin /showrepl to display the replication errors. Correct the error in question. For example there maybe problems with IP connectivity, DNS name resolution, or security authentication that are preventing successful replication.
3. In the rare event that all replication partners being down is an expected occurance, perhaps because of maintenance or a disaster recovery, you can force the role to be validated. This can be done by using NTDSUTIL.EXE to seize the role to the same server. This may be done using the steps provided in KB articles 255504 and 324801 on
Another event
=============================================
Active Directory was unable to establish a connection with the global catalog.

Additional Data
Error value:
1355 The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.
Internal ID:
3200cf3

User Action:
Make sure a global catalog is available in the forest, and is reachable from this domain controller. You may use the nltest utility to diagnose this problem.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at

In my mind, you need to prune the AD with NTDSUTIL so that only the existing DC is in there (thus getting rid of the question of whether replication failures should keep the FSMO role holder from being authoritative), then you need to use authoritive (D4) Burflags to tell the remaining DC to be authoritative for the domain again (Seizing FSMO roles first if you need to). And it's possible that you need to do another DSRestore on that server if that doesn't work. But this is complex and you'd want to verify that all the logs/symptoms point in that direction.

If I were you, I'd hire someone who's good at this to work with you on it.

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net
TrainSignal.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back