Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Domain Controller restore options ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaxone

IS-IT--Management
Sep 13, 2003
DK
Hello All.

Yesterday while installing SP4 on my domain controller the server just restarted in the middle of everything.
With just 20 minutes before I took a backup of :
Winnt , SystemState.

Now I can not start the server up anymore , just when it has to initialize the graphic mode of the windows the server will restart.
Now the problem is I have also my Exchange installed on the same server and it is the "first organization" on our forest.
All the other exchange servers are child domains and all the other DC's are also child domains in the forest.
I can not start the server in safe mode , I can not start it in Directory Restore mode.
What solution do I have so I don’t loose the exchange ?
I can access the disk in another server and I can copy / delete / restore whatever I want from the backup. The backup is ok and the exchange folder on the disk is intact and ok.

I have only once tried to restore active directory and that was on a DC that could start in Directory Restore mode. In this case I can not start the server at all.
Any ideas and help would be appreciated. Ah , and I do have one more DC that is on root, at the same level with the lost DC.

Any solution what can I do from here ?

Well I can see nobody knows the answer.

Solved my problem.

Thank you anyway.

If I my ask, how did you solve it? I happen to experience a similar problem with my domain controller that also is running exchange after I installed SP4...HHmmm

My server is rebooting and now has been needing to press F1 to boot. Anyone can tell me how to remove that and how did it suddenly appear?

F1 to boot ?
It is a BIOS message or windows ?

jaxone, you didn't give us a lot of time to solve the problem or tell us how you solved the problem. Well I can see nobody knows the answer. Don't give up on tek-tips for problem solving, or helping out. Take your problem, and how you solved it and post it to help others out with similar problems. Thanks.

Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
"I only know that I know nothing."
Socrates (47-399 BC); Greek philosopher

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

It looks like a BIOS message because it's during early startup. It's highlighted in blue on the right hand corner. It just appeared.

Can you get to last known good configuration? (Just hoping. If it is bios, I'm guessing it won't let you get that far.)

Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
"I only know that I know nothing."
Socrates (47-399 BC); Greek philosopher

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

Hey Peach66 , it looks like a BIOS message !
What does it say ?
Try to see what have you changed in the bios .
Maybe Keyboard controller is failing , maybe mouse ? Some machines won't start without a keyboard and mouse attached.
Windows will never come with an "F1" error , you will get a blues screen maybe but never heard of "Press F1 to continue" on windows, BIOS yes.

And for Glen , I had no time to wait for an tip anymore so I just re-installed the damn machine , restored System state and copied over all the files needed from the backup.
Need also to RE-make the Sysvol and NETLOGON shares as they wer not restored automatic.
Will see if it works on Monday when I will pop the Network cable in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back