Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Domain Controller near disk capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.

sohtnax

IS-IT--Management
Apr 24, 2003
US
I have 2 Windows 2000 domain controllers. DC1 is in theory used as the Primary Domain Controller and also has DNS running on it, and DC2 is used primarily as a backup and for hosting print services.

DC1 is dangerously close to capacity on drive C, and I have moved everything possible. What can I do in this case?

is it running a RAID setup?

Computer/Network Technician
CCNA

in any case, moving the log file and AD data file would make sense.....

search for ntdsutil information on moving these files....

Aftertaf

"Solutions are not the answer." - Richard Nixon

I was in the same boat a few months back. I'm running 2000 server as my PDC with my DNS and AD on it, raid 5. I was told by someone higher up to ignore it until the server starts throwing me messages, so I did. Bad move. (lesson learned)

Unf. I had to purchase a $500 piece of software to move partitions. It can be done on raid 5 if you have the right software. I used volume manager 2.0 and it did the trick just fine. If you already use partition magic, it should look real familiar. Don't just move the partitions like you normally would on a workstation. (this is not a sales pitch for volume manager, etc, nor do I work for them.)

Of course, this only works if you have space to spare on another partition.

Hope this helps!
Karen

Raid 5 configuration. How many physical drives are there?
Are they hot pluggable?
If so, adding another drive might be an alternative.

You say you've moved everything possible. Have you moved the pagefile? I needed to do this for one of my clients recently. Quick fix and $0.

cheers.gif

Help! I've fallen and I can't reach my beer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back