Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Domain Contrller Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

LakiL

IS-IT--Management
Aug 19, 2002
RS
I have primary (Win 2008) and backup (Wind 2003) domain controller servers. All FSMOs are on primary. I want to shutdown backup server (later to install new 2008). To simulate this I have disconnected backup from network and left primary to work alone. Issues I get is that shared folders over the other server (members of domain) are not accessible, mostly when i tried to access by TCP/IP name. Also bu accessing with DNS name it needs time to open, on some servers it is not opening at all. When I connect back domain controller backup server, everything works fine again. I would appreciate any help on this, thanks!

Which server is listed first as the DNS server in the DHCP scope? You might try only having the primary server as an entry for the DNS option in the DHCP scope, wait a week, and then try taking that server offline again. If some systems are using that server as their DNS server, that could cause the issues you are seeing. On some servers, they could be hard-coded with DNS that only uses that secondary server's IP.

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net
TrainSignal.com

Or don't wait at all and put the IP address / name of the remaining server in the HOSTS file of the clients and unplug/test.

Thank you for the advises, I will test both and post results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back