Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Domain Connectivity for Wireless 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

imihgroup

Technical User
Sep 18, 2007
US
Hello all,
Here is my question.
Wireless adapters do not initialize until after the user logs in, this is after a computer would try and get domain authentication, group policy and login scripts. I know this is due to the driver not starting as a startup service. AT&T Plug&Share used to have the ability to start prior to logon, this worked great ina Domain environment. I have talked with Cisco, Linksys, Belkin and others and have not been able to find a card that would initialize and connect to a selected wireless network, prior to user login, so that in a domain environement the computer would get proper authentication, group policy and login scripts.

The only work around I have found is to login witha cached set of credentials, wait for the computer to conenct to the wireless network, the logout and log in again and I would get group policy and login scripts.

This does not work well as you can see, and in the environment that I want to use wireless, ona windows 2003 domain, I have not found any way to make it work any better.

Any ideas, suggestions, comments would be greatly appreciated.

We are currently having this problem as well.

The solution is using 802.1x technology. This authenticates the computer before the user logs in.

What are you using for encryption? Using the built in windows wireless configuration program yields better results for me than using a third party app.

I have used both the Windows wireless utility and 3rd party applications.

I am finding that since the wireless conencftion utility, either windows zero config, or third party utilities, do not start as a system service, this will never work.

I am hoping that someone can come up with a way of making the utility start on boot as a system service not as a local service. I have even tried forcing the zero config service to start as a system instead of local service, but that did not work.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back