Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Domain and PC password do not match

Status
Not open for further replies.

kkumpula

Vendor
Oct 4, 2005
US
I have been trying to get my laptop password and the domain I connect to be in sync again. I have had the same password on the PC for about a year and half. Where as the domain password has to be changed every 30 days.

I have tried the Alt-Ctrl-Del then change password and it actually seems to go thru with it only to not work on a reboot.

PC is XP Pro with latest everything.

**The question may not be the technology, but the competency of the support people.**

Approximately when did you change you password on the domain from the same as the PC?

Beware of hackers bearing executables. Happy Hunting. 'irc.2600.net'

The issue here, is that a Local User on your PC and the Domain User really have no relation to one another. And no interaction.

When a computer is added to a domain a new profile is created for the Domain User even if its the same as a pre-existing local user.

So there's no reason for Windows to change the Local user password, if the Domain User password changes because they are separate profiles.

Which user are you actually changing the password for when you control-alt-del? And which user are you trying to log into when you say its not working?

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

It has been this way for about a year and a half. I am required to change my domain password every 30 days. So it has been changed several times since this first occured. The laptop password has been the same since.

**The question may not be the technology, but the competency of the support people.**

You bring up a good point. I assumed there was only one user on my laptop. There are indeed two. One is my user name and the other is my username with a whole string of digits behind it. My help desk has never asked this question. I think you have given me something to at least start with.

Are you seeing something like this when you mention "my username with a whole string of digits behind it"?

How To Restore a User Profile in Windows Server 2003

If you cannot logon to the Laptop (locally) with the original Local Administrator username, See if there is any access via Safe Mode and the Built-in Administrator. Sometimes people forget to set as password for that fellow and leave it as a blank password.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back