Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Domain Admins can't access WDS image, but local Admin can

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordanCN

IS-IT--Management
Apr 12, 2006
US
Just setup a new W2k3 server with WDS installed in Mixed mode. It is a member server running DHCP. My legacy RIS images are working fine, but the WDS images for Vista and Win7 do not.

The sequence of events are:

1. Boot PC of nic and press F12
2. Get Prompted for install Windows Boot Manager to install:
a. Microsoft Windows Setup (x86)
b. Remote Installation Services
3. After choosing M.W.S x86 the boot image downloads
4. Windows setup starts and prompts for region
5. **Dialog box pops up and asks for credentials

At this point if I enter mydomain.com\DomainAdmin in this style or the legacy format I get a message:

An error occurred while processing your request. The specified username or password is not correct.

No Domain Admin accounts work. However if I enter the WDS servers local admin account WDSSERVER\Administrator and password, the image runs.

So far I have checked the following:
1. Folder path security - WDSSERVER\Admins and System "Full", "Read" for Authenticated
2. Security on images in WDS is the same.
3. REMINST share security has Everyone "Full"
4. WDS service starts up with local account
5. Domain Admins are part of Local Admins group.

Turns out that there was some sort of time issue. All of the client, the DC and the WDS server seemed to have the same time, however the Win7 PE seemed to read the time zone on the DC as -4:00 time instead of EST time of -5:00

I added the syncronis command "Net time \\mydc /set /y" to the 1st pass on the unattended.xml and then I could get my scripts running with the domain credentials.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back