Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Domain administrator password recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

vasunukal

Technical User
Apr 28, 2002
IN

At one of our customer place the network is with Windows NT server4.0 with service pack 6.0 and the clients are windows95/98.Network was working fine what happend is that user working on the NT servre has changed the Administrator password and forgotten now the server is not able to up.Is there any way to recover the forgotten administartor password.And one more thing want to know is how to logon to server with Guest account what is the password for the guest builtin account.Get in touch with me at my address
vasu@optonettech.com

Srinivas
Customer Support Engineer

HI.

If the C drive is on a FAT file system, you can follow this:

* Boot to a DOS prompt
C:
CD \WINNT
CD SYSTEM32
REN LOGON.SCR LOGON.BAK
COPY USRMGR.EXE LOGON.SCR

Now reboot and wait 15 minutes for User Manager to open instead of the screen saver.

If drive C is NTFS, you will need an NTFS boot disk or you can connect the disk to another NT computer or temporary install for that purpose.

Bye
Yizhar Hurwitz

There are Linux (dare I say that name in here) hack disks which will remove your Admin password.

We have used them once as our site but we have always been suspect of that NT box afterwards - it was never as stable.

Search on for NT password hack and you should find something. New Zealand, a great place to visit.

LophtCrack is a password auditing tool used to determine if you have weak passwords on the network. You may be able to use it to crack the adminstrative password. We have used it with quite a bit of success where I work. The link is below:

The guest account by default is disabled. The password is the "Enter" key.

Good Luck

This is an offline utility (Linux based). I have used in real life with success. You boot from the disk and from a command prompt can change any password. And you can't beat the price-$free$.
Be sure to follow directions. As I said I have used with success (twice, one in practice and one in real life).

Good Luck!

Just a quick word of advice. If you try and use the Linux boot disk method to recover / change the password, try to establish whether or not the Post SP3 strong passwords fix has been installed for the .sam. If it has, the linux recovery is likely to kill the .sam database completely.

Forget the past. The future is now.

I would definately recommend taking a copy of the SAM database and using L0phtcrack. This has definately worked for me and this tool rocks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back