Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Domain Admin problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

buzzlight

Technical User
Oct 1, 2001
GB
I have a small NT4 network and I have a weird situation, some clients on the network cannot run certain software without having Domain Admin rights for that user? There doesn’t seem to be a pattern with the software there running or how it was installed. I’ve installed the software as me (Administrator) works ok! Logged back in after install to make sure everything is ok! When the user logs in the application doesn’t run unless give Admin Rights.

Have you checked the support information for that product? Perhaps they have a patch that remedies this. Marc Creviere

Are they running the software on the Server .. or on their own machines -- connecting to server.

Some softwares require that you be a local administrator on the machine you are logged into, in order to install or run. Alshrim
System Administrator
MCSE, MCP+Internet

Have you tried to give them local Power User rights to their systems? They shouldn't need Domain Admin rights at all, just local system rights.

~TD

Under WINNT\Profiles do your users have access to the programs executable? This could be the problem, you may need to copy the program folder from administrators profile to a user or all users. I have certain applications that act the same way. Once you copy that folder you can remove anything in that folder except the executable program. This way the admin still has the full installed version and the user have access to the executable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back