Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Domain admin cannot access users

Status
Not open for further replies.

lanceja

MIS
May 23, 2002
US
Have a domain admin that is a member of the Domain Administrators and the Enterprise Administrators group. After last weekend cannot make changes to certain users in his domain. Those users are greyed out when he gets into their properties and he is "Denied Access" if he tries to make a change.

As far as we can figure, it could have been a Microsoft update but not sure if it was and if so, which one.

We have tried to create a new Domain administrator with the correct rights, but they cannot access. We have tried to create a dummy user and put them in the same groups as the users who are greyed out, but that did not help.

Any ideas and suggestions will be appreciated.

I'm a novice in the area but we had the same crazy problem.

my work around solution is to temporarily give the user privileges to log into the server directly, log into the server as the user to either alter privileges or to put the files in a different location.

we had similar issues when our 2k3 server that kept crashing for no apparent reason, before it all went to hell we decided to implement a new server and tried to mimic all the settings to allow for a seamless transition - it didnt work that way.

I believe the root problem as far as Microsoft support could tell us is was that the home/root paths for the users were "redirected" which meant that it only gave access to the user and the administrator. Since it was a new administrator account and didn't have the exact same security policies etc it was completely locked out and we were almost unable to retrieve users data...

don't know if this will help you as you are probably in a completely different situation, but just in case I guess ;)

good luck to you

sg284

I had a similar problem personally several months ago after an update was installed on my system - I don't think it was an MS update but rather something from Business Objects - but I had the same behavior, Outlook to Exchange was prompting me for passwords, I couldn't map drives, authenticate to the intranet with integrated security. It seemed like after logon I was losing my authentication ticket with the server.

I rebuilt my local profile on my computer and everything was fine again. by rebuilt....copied the old one to another directory and logged back in with my normal account and it started from scratch.

Mark @ LMFJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back