Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dollar amount fields parsing after comma

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrothey

Technical User
Jul 1, 2005
US
Morning everyone,

I have a csv file that I'm trying to import that has cost values, e.g. 1,456. When I run an import from phpMyAdmin2.6.1 the data after the comma is stripped. If I view the csv with notepad the cost value has " " around it.

Below is the sql query results:
LOAD DATA LOCAL INFILE 'd:\\PHP\\uploadtemp\\php380D.tmp' INTO TABLE `usage_test` FIELDS TERMINATED BY ',' ENCLOSED BY '"' ESCAPED BY '\\' LINES TERMINATED BY '\r\n'

Inserted rows: 5477 (Query took 0.0716 sec)

I also tried running the import from the CLI, but recieve the same results.

Any suggestions or has someone seen this before? I checked the forum, but don't find anything specifically relating to the same scenario.

Looks like you are importing string (text) values into a numeric field.
... FIELDS TERMINATED BY ',' ...
Numeric fields don't have commas in them and you are marking the field as being terminated by a comma. CSV stands for Comma Separated Values, so you are specifying that 1,456 is 2 separate values.

Solution - strip the commas inside the individual fields in the CSV before importing

Steam Engine Prints

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back