Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Doh...what's wrong with this update using 2 tables query?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcnguyen

Technical User
Mar 22, 2005
US
I thought this was the correct syntax, but everytime I run it, it crashes the database:

UPDATE table1, table2 SET table1.X = table2.x_coord AND table1.Y=table2.y_coord WHERE table1.address = table2.address

It's dealing with a table with about 1000 entries in one, and 100,000 in the other.

it most likely isn't crashing the database but is taking a very long time.

what columns do you have indexed?

Check out the syntax for the UPDATE statement here:
You will find that you don't want the AND in your statement, just a comma instead

Steam Engine Prints

As it turns out, it just took an extreme amount of time...What would the problem be? Is it because in both tables, there are addresses that appear more than once?

the problem as I've suggested is lack of indexes. which columns do you have indexed in your tables? I'd guess none of them beyond a primary key if you are using them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back