Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does XP sp1 have popupstopper? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

swaroop

Programmer
Feb 4, 2001
US
Hi All,

Please help me develop script for stop popups on Windows XP SP1

Thanks in advance.

Swaroop Kunduru

Hi,

Not sure about a script, but you could use Mozilla Firefox, much more secure and has a brilliant popup stopper.

Cya,

Brett

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Intel 3.2Ghz Prescott 800FSB (OC 3.8Ghz)
Fujitsu MAS3 SCSI 15000rpm HDD 73GB
4Gig Ram
DL-DVD Burner
2 x 21in LCD DELL
All Black.., oh, good old FDD to.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I think that it's the version of IE that has the pop-up blocker, rather than SP2 itself. You could upgrade to IE6.

SP2 introduced the native pop up blocker MrTBC. As the requirement in the post is for SP1 I would have to tell you it isn't an option Swaroop.

Regarding Firefox being more secure, that is a fallacy. In 2004 there were 39 security patches for IE and 48 security patches for firefox. While firefox does have some nice UI features such as tabs, it is not nearly as mature as IE is and patching of flaws takes considerably longer.

One can only speculate that as many flaws have not been discovered in firefox because it is not as popular as IE. Firefox certainly has potential but don't be blinded by the concept of open source means more secure. That is not accurate.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Thanks for clarifying Mark - I wasn't sure. So the Pop-Up Blocker is actually part of the new SP2 Security features rather than IE6 itself?

Well, yes, sort of...

SP2 provides numerous hotfixes for the XP system. Since IE ships with XP and is considered an integral PART of the OS, it too was patched and in this special case additional functionality was added.

There is a fine line between IE as a product and IE as part of the OS from Microsoft's persective. Not looking ot spurr a huge debate but I'm in agreement with Microsoft that it shoudl be considered part of the OS. An OS without a web browser is virtually useless.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Interesting. So if you ran IE6 on SP1 it wouldn't block pop-ups?

Correct, IE6 on WinXP SP1, AND IE6 SP1 itself, doesn't come with a popup blocker. If IE6 SP1 came with a popup blocker, you would have that functionality in Win2k.

The IE6 installation on XP uses a different version of wininet.dll than IE6 for other versions of Windows.

Microsoft Certified Nut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back