Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does Wireless Network Block Hard Wired PDA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaeBon

Instructor
Jan 31, 2004
US
I have an old Cassiopeia (connects to serial port) I've used for years. After installing a DSL wireless network on my Windows XP machine, I cannot get the partnership wizard to find the device so I can sync. I get an error message that the remote access is required. I did not go any farther in attempting to connect as I don't want to interfere with the wireless set up. Any ideas? I apologize if I've posted this is the wrong forum. Thanks, JaeBon

Hmm, my first guess would be that your Serial port got rerouted, or else it got disabled somehow. Can you check both in Device manager, and your computer's BIOS settings?

Device Manager:
1. Right-click on My Computer (or just Computer in Vista)
2. Select Properties
3. Click Hardware tab.
4. Click Device Manager Button.

Look for anything disabled there - if you don't see anything disabled or with a red exclamation mark or a yellow question mark, then this probably isn't the problem. However, while there, just look to see if a Serial port is even listed.. if it isn't, then that piece has died, or else it's been disabled in the BIOS settings - most likely. Of course, it could have been removed, and never reinstalled - again, not likely if you're running XP or Vista, and haven't disabled the Plug and Play service.

BIOS settings:
1. Restart your PC
2. When the computer is just starting up, you'll need to be pressing one button.
a. If a custom built machine, most likely it's <Del>
b. If a Compaq or HP, then it could be <F11> OR <F10> I think.
c. If a Dell, it's either <F2> or <F12> - I think...
d. eMachine is usually <Del> - again, if I remember correctly.
If you see anything about "press... to enter setup" - then THAT's the button you need to press.
3. Once into the BIOS, you'll commonly have a blue screen... or else a gray screen... or possibly another color (I know my Abit AB9 Pro board has a pink BIOS screen - probably the most annoying thing about the board. [wink]
4. Probably under "Advanced" or "Onboard ..." is where you'll find your Serial port info - it'll be set to some series of letters/numbers or else Auto or else Disabled. If Disabled, that's your problem. You need to change it to Auto, or else one of the other options - frankly, I've not needed one that I can remember, so I've not really looked up what the different settings mean. [smile]

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I've done what you suggested and still no luck. I'll keep searching for a solution. Again, I do appreciate your time and effort in helping me.

Well, the way your network is going to work is like this:

The router controls going to/from the computer, but if you attach something to your computer, your wireless network could care less what it is. As long as it's a device that is able to get onto a network, then it's on the computer/device end. So what you've got to look into is the networking settings on the PC... if it's a network issue at all.

And actually, I'd never even hard of that device until I saw your post here. [smile] If you do get it sorted out, be sure to post the solution here.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Again, I appreciate all the help I always find here. I'll try searching for something on the site you sent. It IS an old PDA; guess I'm just one of those folks who hangs on to stuff too long. Anyway, I'll keep trying and post back if I find a solution. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back