Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does Vonage require port forwarding?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2007
US
If the Vonage box is behind your router's firewall (home type router), do you really need to port forward? I read something that the Vonage box keeps the connection open to the Vonage servers so a port forwarding rule is not required.

The reason I ask is that someone wants to have two Vonage boxes and you can't port forward the same external ports to two different internal devices.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Check out OOMA, it's a better deal. Been using them for 5 years, never an issue. and I love the blacklist feature.

Yeah, but need 2 phone lines and a dedicated fax line. Easier with Vonage.

you can forward the next sip port so 5061 or something along those lines if neccesary

most ISPs you dont need to do any port forwarding but FIOS is one that you have to

Since my post, I have turned off the port forwarding on my router to my vonage box and it has continued to work inbound/outbound. It must do a keep-alive with the NAT firewall so that the (incoming call) connection will always be accepted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back