Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does Using 2 LAN cards = Faster Bit Rate???

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanin247

Programmer
Apr 23, 2001
US
To Whom It May Concern:
My friend told me that by using 2 LAN Cards in his desktop he was able to double his bit transfer rate. Somehow his friend sychronized his cards to use both feeds. Is this true/possible? If so, how do you do it?

I appreciate any help. Thanks.

kanin

Assuming the Switch he is using allows Multi Link Trunking or a similar named technology (there is no standard, each vendor calls it something else) then yes it is possible but rarely useful. The main advantage is that one cable can fail, which happens more between buildings. For most 'nomal' scenarios it is cheaper and simpler to get a faster card. Seaveral vendor make the software that goes in your PC, sometimes only for one brand of card. I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Without a propritary method of bonding two ports, ethernet's standard method would be to give each port a different MAC (and IP) address, which does not load balance, it just allows you to name the computer as two devices and talk to each independantly Server4users and Server4backups say, if you configured the tape backups not to slow the users I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

And if you're not using RAID (very rare in a usual desktop), it's difficult to see the difference with a 100 Mbit NIC, because a common HD will hardly follow the NIC's speed (As told me) It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.
Murphy's Laws

Indeed, Adapter Teaming is usually reserved for Servers but it is possible.

with 2 NIC's i dont think it will double the transffer rate..both the card will work but the speed wont change.. even on hald duplex or full cuplex

jinaa ibraheem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back