Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does This Sound Like a Good Idea? Advice Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

txdave35

Technical User
Nov 20, 2008
US
Hey guys,

I recently started a new IT job which is vastly different from my previous roles. Before, I mainly did phone tech support and enjoyed being buried with work.

This job is in house IT support, and there is a lot of downtime. I am on probation so I constantly feel the need to stay busy or at least appear busy. My fallback plan is to leverage my technical writing skills to create documentation.

I started by documentating our common practices which I would eventually compile into a policies and procedures manual. I thought it would be good to have every single IT routine down on paper. Next, I had the idea to create database documentation. We run queries and create reports on this massive database, and we only have this wall chart as a reference guide.

Today, I had the idea of creating a disaster recovery plan. Let's document out every step that should take place in the event of a data loss or worst case scenario event. Does this sound like a good idea, or just a luxury?

While these self made projects could keep me busy for several months, I'm worried about rushing through them because when it is all done, what do I have left to fall back on? My only thought is to spend the down time studying for a SQL certification. Would that be kosher?

Anyone else been in a similiar situation? What did you do to fill the void?

My best advice would be to speak with your immediate supervisor and discuss these ideas with him/her. While it may sound like a good idea to us (and it does sound like a worthwhile use of your time), the company may have other priorities. Also, it's good to let your boss know that you aren't looking to get paid for doing nothing and that you're willing to help in other areas as well.

Yeah... KornGeek is right. Talk to your super about what the company priorities are and how you could possibly utilize the down time to work towards those goals. It's a win-win for both of you. You aren't board and the boss has someone that eager to work rather than collect a check.

DR plans are nice to work on, but you will need information from every aspect of your department and others. Many of which you may not have access to, or depending on your boss, may appear to be overstepping your boundaries. Again, another reason why it is a good idea to talk to them before embarking on such an ambitious task.

--------------------------------------------------
"...and did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? NO!"

"Don't stop him. He's roll'n."
--------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back