Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does the size counts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

galar

Programmer
Feb 19, 2002
IL
I have a large Application with numerous forms, reports, queryes and modules. And, unfortunately, I'm not near the ending.
The question is, does Access application has limits to how much objects it can hold and whether it's size has an influence on the performance?

Thanks

The simple answer is Yes

But the real answer is that you'll probobly slow it down even more if you "artificially" try to cut it up into smaller databases that thewn have to spend a lot of time talking to each other.

What do you mean by "lots" and one important thing, How many concurrent users are going to be hitting this thing with data entry / data edits at any one time ( Concurrent users ) ?

G LS

Don't know what you consider large. Its a relative term.

A97 and A2k versions have a 1 gigabyte size limit. Not sure if this is maintained in the latest version. I believe there is a limit in number (255) of controls on an object. As far as number of objects - I've no idea, but from personal experience A2K will at least handle well in excess of 400.

Overall size of the database application only impacts performance in terms of time involved in loading, closing and compacting/repairing.

Cheers, Bill

I always keep the size of the Access database under 10M, although I believe Access DB works fine between 10M and 20M. However, you may get more problems after the size goes over 20M.

Seaport

Look in Access help for limits, program. It will tell you such things as:
Code:
Maximum number of objects in a database	32,768

Thanks to all of you for the information provided.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back