Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does the sharepoint services 3.0 incoming mail work on a SBS??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 21, 2006
HK
I currently installed the SPS 3.0 on a SBS, all fine but it cannot send message internally via the sharepoint, by the install guide from microsoft:

Limitations
The following are known limitations in running Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 with Windows SBS:
• The integration of incoming e-mail with Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 does not work because of a conflict with Exchange.
• If you moved the Windows SharePoint Services 2.0 databases from WMSDE to SQL Server 2000 or to SQL Server 2005, Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 Search does not function after you install Windows SharePoint Services 3.0.

Does it mean I only send mail via SMTP on a SBS of sharepoint 3.0??

Many thanks!

In the title of your thread, you're asking about incoming email. At the end of your post, you seem to be indicating that there's a problem with outgoing email (from Sharepoint).

Anyhow, Sharepoint should be able to send outgoing messages on an SBS server. However, it can't handle incoming messages, because the way it works is kind of dumb - it requires an SMTP server that can drop messages into a folder. Since you're running exchange, you can't also run the basic windows SMTP service that Sharepoint wants you to run.

I'm in the same boat, and have been thinking of a few workarounds. One might be an exchange event sink that will spit a copy of a message sent to a particular box out to a file. Another might be to use a secondary mail server that will save messages to a folder on the Sharepoint server. Haven't dug much into either solution yet, though. I basically stopped looking into this when I determined that there's no way for this to work easily on an SBS box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back